Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Week 17 In The Field

Hey Ya'll, it's time to come together indirectly over the internet again and tell yunz about this awesome week I had! 
Oh boy, I'm in a really good mood right now because looking back: our week was SOLID. We had so much happen this week...in the words of Grant Malquist "it was incredible!!!!". Finding and teaching wise...this has been one of the most successful weeks of my mission. We found 2 solid new investigators and 4 potentials. (I'm sure some of you who served in South America are saying "really!? We found 20!"). I got to teach some some investigators we found last week and see them begin to progress. Let me tell you about a few things that happened.

So there is a member who has a boyfriend named Chris. Chris has never heard about the church and asked his girlfriend lots of questions about the LDS church. It got to a point where instead of just answering, she called us over and we taught him the Restoration. At the end of the lesson; Chris said," Wow you guys answered a lot of my questions, and I feel like this is the church for me." It felt like we dropped a spiritual bomb on this guy. I mean we try and do that to everyone we meet, but Chris was something else. He's going to take the rest of the lessons and be baptized sometime soon. 

Also at Chris's place, was his cousin Austin. Austin has been soul searching for a while and met with missionaries before in Knoxville. During our Restoration lesson with Chris, Austin also decided that this is the church for him as well. So really in just one day we hit a 2 run home run. It's just a matter of circling the bases! It's so awesome to see people change their lives. This was a testimony building that the spirit can testify truths to those who are ready and prepared to listen.

Later on in the week we were contacting former investigators and we found this one dude named Ryan. Ryan is 28 and hadn't slept in 24 hours and looked like a heroin addict. (I assume everyone is a heroine addict before I talk to them). If you were here you would understand. But Ryan was just off, he asked me if I was a CNA, if I was a professor at some nursing college, or in a sorority...WORD? Well anyway we tried teaching him the Restoration but he wouldn't shut up about some girl. He talked about Jesus but then would just start sharing memories of his girlfriend! Without any proper English transition...or connection to anything! Well finally after telling us that he wanted to find her (after 2 years and still hasn't gotten over her) we told him that we hope it all works out, but don't do anything stupid and that we had to leave. As we were getting up he was like "Any recorders?" What? "Are you guys recording me" Uh No? We're missionaries.... You guys work for the Feds huh? No....dude look we carry scriptures...pamphlets etc. Well he didn't believe us and was getting pretty mad and in our face. Luckily his cousin; who plays basketball with us, was home and he came and dropped Ryan to the ground. We got out of there quick and will not be going back. Scary moment, but Ryan's cousin Chris, now wants us to teach him what we're all about. Can I get a #blessings

So we're at Chris and Austin as the two solids, and Chris as one of our 4 potentials. This kind of stuff doesn't happen by accident. The Lord will lead us to those whose hearts have been softened. But we also have to throw skin in the game.

Last week we had a Zone Meeting and President Griffin decided to get rid of meal appointments unless a non-member is present. At first I was vexed, but now I realize why. When missionaries are eating at members home usually between 5-7 that's prime time to catch people home. We need to be out finding people then or teaching lessons, not hangin out with people who already know what we teach. We're lucky we have meal appointments with part member families every week so another reason to not turn green. 

Well that's all for this week. Guys the fullness of the gospel is here on the earth RIGHT NOW. If you haven't ever checked out the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints you should. It's a pretty dope church. I look at all the big questions people ask themselves "where did I come from?" "What is the purpose of life?" "What happens when we die?" "What about those who couldn't hear about Jesus?" "How can I know for myself?" "Why are there so many flippin churches!?!?!" These are all questions we have answers to. If you want to find answers to your questions go check out the website: Www.mormon.org and request a visit from the missionaries in your area. Or ask me... and if you live in the big 650 of yay area, I can hook you up with some cool dudes. 

Anyway: Hope yunz have a good week! Roughly 168 hours till the next report!


Scott Kuhnen
The Great Tennessee Knoxville Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment